Saturday, June 15, 2019

Social Work Program Essay Example | Topics and Well Written Essays - 750 words

Social Work Program - Essay ExampleMy dad saw me and waved, that I didnt follow through either. My dad was, however, quite enthusiastic and cool about the whole thing, though he never actually discussed it with me, since he could see I was ashamed of what he did. The turning dot came the day when he left his court, it was freezing and mum decided to drive to him and, I agreed to accompany her. I was disappointed in a way, I expected to find hordes of desperate uneducated and hopeless large number at the shelter, a few appeared that way, but several of those I talked to seemed commonsensible and sane enough for me to wonder what they were doing in shelters. A young man, who told me of his dream to join college, was shattered by addiction to drugs, and he left home because he could not face his parents. He still hoped to pull himself out of the situation that night I plucked the courage and asked dad to tell me about what he did. By the time he was done, my perspective had undergon e a paradigm shift, and when I asked him why, he told me a story about his past, which I was not familiar with. For ternion years in his youth he had struggled with drugs and ended up in a shelter where he spent 6 months. Someone helped him get tail on his feet again, but he had decided he would always show his appreciation for as long as he could. Therefore, my dad, a hotshot banker, at a time depended on a shelter from sustenance, now I was ashamed, not of his past, but my closed-mindedness. From that point on, I tried to learn as much as I could about social work from my dad and my teachers. Now I can say that my dads example influenced me a lot and I revalue the chance to have helped me find my true vocation. My key values in live are honesty, fairness and compassion for everyone, I believe everyone deserves a endorsement chance, and nobody should be judged because of their current situation, since it is important we try to find out how someone has got there. I also avoid ju dging or criticizing people because I believe until you know all about someones problems and the background circumstances, you are ill-equipped to decide if he/she is willing to change his/her life or not. Everyone should be listened to, supported and given the benefit to doubt his or her social status (Arwen, 2012). The main strength that may enable me to become a substantially social worker is that I have a compassionate nature. Besides, I am an adept at compartmentalizing my issues that is to say, if someone makes me angry at some point I will not project it on the next person I meet, since I deal with issues independently. I believe this is particularly crucial, since many of the people social workers need to face are not easy to deal with and require infinite amount of patience. I may not have it in infinite quantities, but I have enough to deal with most of the challenges a social worker is expected to deal with. Communication skills are alert for any social worker, and I ha ve excellent communication skills, I am a good listener who can easily assume the early(a) persons perspective, hence, understand their situation better. Social work requires emotional maturity and experience in the past, I have spent many hours volunteering and, as such, I consider myself modestly experienced. I hope to join the

No comments:

Post a Comment